Homecoming is a great event here at Ursinus, a fun weekend of reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones. Alumni are welcomed back to campus for events ranging from football games to formal dinners. This year, Ursinus Homecoming is going green; sustainable practices will be used to eliminate some of the waste generated and UC plans to recycle as much of that waste as possible.
Here are some of the sustainable initiatives that we’re taking on campus at this year’s Homecoming Weekend, on October 26 & 27:
- Guests at the President’s Circle Reception, Hall of Fame Reception and Grizzly Gala will be served using reusable (rather than disposable) china and glassware.
- Centerpieces for Saturday’s events will be consumable rather than disposable. Yum!
- Beer will only be served in reusable mugs to eliminate the use of disposable cups. In order to get a mug, alumni of drinking age must register. Registration is available online at www.ursinus.edu/homecoming.
- Beverages for Saturday’s Bears’ Brews and Bites tents will be provided by Victory Brewery, a local establishment in Downingtown, cutting down on transportation costs and fossil fuel use.
- When you get hungry, you’ll find fare from local vendors, World Peace (frozen yogurt) and “Holy Cheese!” (grilled cheese sandwiches).
- The centerpieces at the Grizzly Gala will be created by a local florist.
- For those who prefer to crack open an ice-cold soda, recycling bins will be provided. Keep an eye out for the large blue plastic bins when you’re ready to toss your empty cans and bottles!
- Our bartenders will be recycling beverage bottles throughout the weekend.
Around the Town:
- Our Alumni Relations office is teaming up with the Collegeville Economic Development Corporation and Collegeville Farmers’ Market, which is holding a special Ursinus-themed breakfast on Saturday morning. The market, an initiative originally created by the students in an Ursinus environmental studies class, is located at 460 E. Main Street, in the parking lot behind the gas station. Look for the sign at the corner of 29 and 2nd Avenue. The market is open Saturdays from 9:00am to 1:00pm.
- Keep your eyes open for special discounts offered by Farmers’ Market vendors and local businesses on Main St. during Homecoming Weekend!
- For the second year, Alumni Relations is teaming up with the Office of Sustainability and the UCARE office to swap your non-Ursinus college T-shirts for an official 2013 Homecoming T-shirt. The old shirts will be collected by the UCGreen EcoReps and the Office of Sustainability; they will then be distributed to local charities or donated to Recycling Services, Inc. (RSI) in Pottstown, a company which repurposes the shirts into rugs and other woven goods. So come on out and show your pride!
The UCGreen Office of Sustainability would like to thank everyone in advance for making this Homecoming our greenest yet! To learn more about what the College has planned for Homecoming weekend, please visit: www.ursinus.edu/homecoming, or contact us at: email@example.com.
For more information on sustainability, please visit: www.ursinus.edu/ucgreen, or contact us at: UCgreen@ursinus.edu.
Submitted By: Carrie Putscher